Shades of Purple – How to Wear the Color of the Year

Shades of Purple – How to Wear the Color of the Year

Pantone is a color trend forecasting institute that highlights the top colors that we will be seeing in the upcoming seasons. In the winter months of 2017, they announced that Ultra-Violet will be the color of the year for 2018. This color was meant to provide a direction for trends and designs in the coming year. Ultra Violet was brought about by many factors, with the most popular influences being music icons Prince, David Bowie, and Jimi Hendrix.
“Ultra-Violet is meant to communicate originality, ingenuity, and visionary thinking towards the future. The color suggests the mysteries of the cosmos, the intrigue of what lies ahead, and the discoveries beyond where we are now. The vast and limitless night sky is symbolic of what is possible and continues to inspire the desire to pursue a world beyond our own,” Pantone stated.

Ultra-Violet is a very dark tone color – a mix of red and blue is more of a cold month color. For us, the warmer months of spring are approaching and we have the lighter shades of purple on our minds. Lavender and lilac are catching our eyes as they slowly appearing in stores. These lighter colors are becoming this year’s millennial pink.

The purple sweater that I’m wearing in my photo caught my eye when I was strolling around Target one day. It is a cute light lavender color and has a tie front. It’s great because I can wear it during these colder months. I paired it with dark jeans and boots. I could also wear this top with white jeans and sandals for when the weather gets warmer.

HOW TO WEAR THE COLOR

The color purple can be broken down into many different shades and hues. This makes it very easy to pair with other colors – especially white and black. You can wear a light lavender sweater with a pair of leather pants for a really soft but edgy look. But, you could also pair the soft purple top with light jeans and a pair of flats. If you are going for a bolder look, try a deep purple sweater dress with white boots or block heels. If you want a more casual look pair the deep purple clothing piece with an all-black outfit.
The easiest way to wear the color purple without committing to a full outfit is to wear it as an accent. Think shoulder bags, block heels, fun hats, and scarves. With accessories, you can wear the dark ultra-violet color or the light lavender. The color will stand out against white tops and light jeans and is perfect for spring.

How would you wear this color for cold and warm weather?

* indicates required

1. February 27, 2018 / 8:58 pm

I’m not sure how I feel about this colour.. I mean I like purple, but I think I’m afraid of pairing it wrong and look like a clown lol I’m not sure I could pull it off ^^

Perrine

February 28, 2018 / 1:52 pm

Just pair it with other very neutral colors like white or black. Trust me you wouldn’t look like a clown!

2. March 2, 2018 / 8:37 pm

Very on trend post! I adore purple but it doesn’t adore me sadly haha! I love it on other people though!

March 2, 2018 / 9:47 pm

I’m sure you could find a shade of purple that looks good on you, you just have to find it! It took me awhile to find the right color for my skin tone.

3. March 3, 2018 / 5:46 pm

Purple is one of my favourite colours, and I totally agree with you. I’ve worn purple top with white pants before and it turned out nice. But black would match it as well, always. Great post! x Ain

March 4, 2018 / 10:14 pm

Thanks for the great comment! I love wearing purple too, I will definitely be buying more of it to fill my closet with!

4. March 4, 2018 / 12:36 am

I often purchase my outfit pieces online, so I am never sure exactly what the colours will look like until I actually receive them. I’m thinking of ordering a pair of full briefs in a new colour called “Whisper” and am wondering whether it might turn out to be “Ultra-Violet”.
    If it is I will definitely be styling them with yellow outfit pieces, and I may try styling them with medium brown or even green outfit pieces. Finding the right intensity and darkness of colours in outfit pieces that will maximise the complementary contrast with outfit pieces in the periwinkle / lilac / purple / Ultra-Violet range can be tricky.
    The sweater you styled in your outfit photo above looks very pretty.

March 4, 2018 / 10:17 pm

Yes buying clothing online can definitely be a struggle because you don’t know what the true color is, but that’s what returns were invented for haha!

I have been seeing a lot of bold color blocking this season. Especially purple being paired with yellow and red. And you’re right it’s all about finding the right shades of those colors and seeing if they pair well together.

5. March 4, 2018 / 9:54 am

I’m with some of the other comments here, it’s such a lovely colour but I only think I could pull off these shades of purple. I think my skin tone suits more of a plum colour. Although I do love the style of the jumper in your picture and the colour suits you very well 🙂 x

March 4, 2018 / 10:21 pm

I admit that even for my skin tone, purple is very hard to wear. I personally like the lighter shade of purple like in my picture. I would say that if you skin tone is a plum color like you say, I would go for an even lighter purple (lilac or lavender) ,so that you skin would stand out.

6. April 3, 2018 / 12:52 am

SUPER CUTE & Purple is my FAV color!!💜💖

April 3, 2018 / 12:52 pm

Thank you! Purple is one of my favorite colors too!