How to Dress for Fall When It’s Still Warm Outside

It is now officially Autumn and I have started decorating my apartment with pumpkins, and leaves, and all things Halloween. I also want to start dressing like it is Fall but there is one problem…it is still 70 degrees outside! It is a daily struggle when I go to get dressed in the morning and all I want to do is put on my comfy sweaters with leggings and boots. If I dressed like that I would die of heat stroke by 2pm. It may be Autumn but it still feels like summer, and that makes dressing for the season very difficult.
There are some simple ways that you can change your look so that you can dress like it’s Fall but still wear lighter weight fabrics so that you don’t sweat to death outside. The simplest thing you can do is change your nail polish color! I changed my baby blue nails to a deeper orange tone. (Essie “Meet me at sunset” nail color to be exact). The next thing I did was take all of my lightweight scarves out of storage and hung them up in my closet. Scarves are very easy to just throw on top of your everyday t-shirt and jeans outfit. You will look like you’re ready for Fall but you won’t overheat wearing it!

SWITCH YOUR SHOES

The next thing that you can do to make your wardrobe more seasonally appropriate, is to switch out all of your summer shoes for boots and booties! Now I am a shoe lover and I hate when I have to say goodbye to my shoes until next year. BUT I love my ankle boots, booties, mid-calf boots, and over the knee boots! Now you don’t want to layer up too much so try wearing your OTK boots with a suede mini skirt or a t-shirt dress.

WEAR FALL COLORS

What I did this past weekend was go through my closet and I pulled out anything that was too summery in style and color. I took out all the blush pinks, baby blues, and the tan colored clothing too. A way for you to start dressing for Autumn is to stop wearing bright pastel colors and to wear darker hues instead. Army green, mustard yellow, and burnt orange are all very trendy this season. And don’t forget about the classic Fall colors like brown, camel, and navy! Making a simple color scheme switch like this will help to transition your wardrobe from summer to Fall.

CHOOSE ARMS OR LEGS

Another way to survive the heat but still wear cute Fall outfits is to choose what part of your body to cover up and which parts to keep cool. You need to pick between your arm or legs. If you want to wear a lightweight sweater, pair it with shorts so your legs stay cool. If you want to wear jeans, try wearing a short sleeved top or tank top to keep your top half cool. Just be careful not to cover up both your arms and legs until the temperature drops below 65 degrees – you’ll look cute but you will be having a heat stroke!

Trying to dress for Autumn when it’s still really warm outside can be a struggle. But the good thing is that you will most likely only have to do this for the months of September and October. (Unless you live in California or Florida). Then after Halloween, we all get to break out our big chunky sweaters, fuzzy socks and drink hot chocolate!
What Fall trend are you looking forward to wearing once the weather gets colder?

* indicates required

1. October 17, 2018 / 7:06 pm

Such a helpful post!! Love that first skirt!!💗 The weather here went from 95 to 48 in about three days. But seeing how indecisive it is I still might need some warm weather clothes!🙄 great post!!!❤️

October 17, 2018 / 11:43 pm

The weather did that here in PA too, it was 90 last week and now they are talking about frost 🙁 But I loved wearing this skirt when the weather was nice!

October 17, 2018 / 11:44 pm

Thank you!

2. October 17, 2018 / 7:27 pm

I love these options! Fall in NM is still pretty toasty but it’s my favorite season!

October 17, 2018 / 11:45 pm

Ugh I wish that it was still really warm, I need to move to a warmer climate haha. But fall is pretty great in PA 🙂

3. Gemma Bray
    October 17, 2018 / 7:45 pm

I love this post! I know what you mean about the weather. Here in the UK it was still warm for a couple of weeks but I just wanted to dress autumnal. Thankfully it has cooled down massively and it’s perfect wearing my cute boots and thicker t-shirts. Thank-youu for sharing this post! You’ve given me some inspiration love it.

Gemma | http://www.anoceanglimmer.wordpress.com

October 17, 2018 / 11:46 pm

yay so glad that I could inspire you! The weather has cooled down a little here to so I am now wearing my cute boots and sweaters as well!

4. October 17, 2018 / 8:54 pm

Such a great post! I love fall fashion, purely for the colours I just think they’re so pretty, and definitely me! ♥︎

October 17, 2018 / 11:47 pm

The colors of Fall are beautiful! Fall is my favorite season for the turning weather and the fashion!

5. October 17, 2018 / 10:33 pm

I love to wear suede in the fall. I like suede boots, suede skirts, suede pants and suede anything. Love the cute skirt!

October 17, 2018 / 11:49 pm

I love suede too! It really is the fabric of fall!

6. Morg
    October 18, 2018 / 1:23 am

These are some great tips! I wish I could of used them though the weather where I live changed from 70’s to low 50’s-40’s in a matter of a week and now I’m all bundled up

October 18, 2018 / 1:01 pm

oh no! Well maybe the weather will be weirdly warm one day so you can use my style tips! 🙂

7. October 18, 2018 / 12:18 pm

Haha, I like the “choose arms or legs” section. Here in New York the weather can be sooo extreme in the Fall – in the morning it’s cold, afternoon it’s so hot, at night it’s freezing cold. Sometimes you’ll see people wearing boots, shorts, a cardigan with a tank top underneath, while carrying an umbrella in preparation for all of the elements that day haha.

But I’ll definitely bookmark this post and save for later! Thank you for your recommendations 🙂

October 18, 2018 / 1:03 pm

Being prepared for all types of weather in one outfit would drive me insane with trying to get dressed every morning haha Glad you enjoyed my post girl 🙂

November 26, 2018 / 9:07 pm