How to Spend Your Winter Weekends

It can be very easy to just spend your winter weekends cozied up on the couch with Netflix playing the latest series all day long. I get it, it’s freezing outside and it gets dark out at 4 pm. We can easily fall into seasonal winter depression by staying inside all weekend long and watching Netflix. But we need to get out and be active. There are plenty of activities to do in your own house and in town, food to cook, and crafts to make. This is how to make the best of weekends in winter!

ACTIVITIES

Now I am not condoning the watching of Netflix for hours at a time, I do it all the time. I am saying that there are plenty of other activities you can do to pass the time! It’s currently snowing as I write this post and it makes me so excited to go out and take a walk around my neighboorhood when it’s finished. I hope that it snows enough for me to be able to build a snowman because I still love doing that! Another outdoor winter related activity that I love doing is going ice skating at the local ice rink or sledding at the hill by my parent’s house. I may be 24 years old but I still love doing the snow activities that I did as a kid.
One thing that I haven’t done since I was a kid is going snow tubing! We have two ski resorts near my house and they offer snowboarding, skiing, and snow tubing. I can’t ski or snowboard to save my life, so going down the mountain in a tube is more my style. If you want to escape the snow and cold you could go to an indoor waterpark! Again, I have multiple indoor waterparks around me that are resorts that have spa’s, restaurants, and waterslides! These are great for when you want to pretend it’s summer in the middle of winter.
If you prefer to stay home and participate in activities that don’t involve mountains or waterslides, you can stay home where it’s warm. Reading is always a great activity and so is cozying up on the couch to watch movies. My boyfriend and I enjoy playing video games like Mario Kart and Animal Crossing on the Nintendo Wii some nights when we don’t want to go out. If you’re really stuck inside because of the weather, may I suggest some winter cleaning! It’s a great chance to go through your closet, under your bed, and cabinets to clean them out and get rid of things you don’t need.

FOOD

One of my favorite things to do in winter is COOK! I love making different stews and casseroles that are warm and delicious. I turn to Pinterest for all my dinner ideas, most of which are crock pot recipes. Crock pots recipes are wonderful because I can just throw all the ingredients in a giant pot and let it go for 6 hours until dinner time. Super easy. I want to get an instant pot because I hear that it will cook my food even faster! If you really want to know what foods I love you can check out my personal Pinterest account and my food board that has the recipes that I’ve tried.
As for winter desserts, I enjoy baking brownies, chocolate cake, snicker doodle cookies, banana bread, and so much more. I love chocolate if you can’t tell haha! One of my favorite winter staples is a warm cup of hot chocolate. I have a cup of it every day, which probably isn’t healthy, but it’s good for my soul. I either make it with the instant powder or with chocolate syrup, mixed with milk on the stove. When that chocolate craving strikes you can make yourself some hot cocoa or a mug brownie. If you haven’t had a mug brownie yet, you are seriously missing out. Here is a great recipe that I eat with a scoop of ice cream on top!

CRAFTS & DECORATIONS

With Christmas being over and all the holiday decorations are packed away, our homes can look a little depressing. The trees, lights, and stockings may be put away but that doesn’t mean that your home has to be empty. You can still decorate for winter! I keep my snowman collection up until springtime and I like to put little decorations in each room around my apartment to add in some winter coziness. Snowmen, penguins, and snowflake decorations are still perfectly acceptable to have in your home until March or April. One winter decoration that has been up in my house every year since I learned to make them in 5th grade is the 3D paper star. I currently have 3 paper stars up around my apartment and my parents have a couple too!

1. January 30, 2019 / 7:11 pm

I love going outdoors in winter time. Especially when I’m wrapped up nice and warm! It makes me feel so cosy. Going inside afterwards for a nice cup of tea and a Netflix session makes it even better!! Snow tubing is so much fun. Like you, I’m not a skier or snowboarder. I haven’t been snow tubing in ages though!! I love this list ❤️

January 30, 2019 / 9:37 pm

Thank you so much for reading Kat!

2. Emma
    February 1, 2019 / 3:07 pm

Ah! I love me reading your post 🙂 I love the outdoors in winter, wrapping up warm and lovely scenery. Crafts and cooking are two of my other faves to! Baking yummy cakes on a Sunday evening.

Emma | http://www.lifeofemmax.co.uk

February 4, 2019 / 2:09 pm

So glad you enjoyed my post!

3. February 1, 2019 / 9:34 pm

These are all great ideas! Although I feel the cold really bad I do enjoy going for a nice long walk in the countryside in the winter. I also agree that slow cookers (or crock pots) are amazing, they’re fab for when you have a busy day because you can just throw everything in and not have to worry about cooking when you get home!

Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com
    xx

February 4, 2019 / 2:09 pm

Glad you liked my post! 🙂

4. February 3, 2019 / 9:14 am

These are really good ideas, I always find im so much more anti social in the winter because its so cold I don’t want to go back out again ahahha! Loving the wooly hat its so cute!

February 4, 2019 / 2:10 pm

haha I am very anti-social in winter. I spend most of my time under blankets 🙂

February 4, 2019 / 2:11 pm

I hate the cold and really wish I lived somewhere warm near a beach haha but sadly it’ll be cold until May 🙁

5. Gemma Bray
    February 3, 2019 / 6:48 pm

I completely agree with you! What some lovely ways you spend your weekend. I agree with you, you can’t just do the same old. Also going outside in the Winter is perfect! Long walks are perfect, especially in the countryside.

Gemma | https://anoceanglimmer.wordpress.com/

February 4, 2019 / 2:12 pm

I love taking walks outside in my neighborhood. It’s so nice to see the snow and everyone snowman that they build or to see kids sledding!

6. February 7, 2019 / 1:19 am

As far as food goes in the winter months, it’s all about soups in our house. Sometimes I’ll have one soup on the go in the crockpot while another is simmering on the stove – We make big loads and then freeze it for the days that we’re busy and just want to heat something up
    Britt | http://alternativelyspeaking.ca

February 21, 2019 / 7:36 pm

Soup is great. It’s like a warm hug, making you feel all warm and cozy!

7. February 10, 2019 / 7:18 am

Hey Lindsey,

I love your points on how to spend your winter weekends. I normally find myself still being so busy with work. But, I should definitely take some time for myself. One of my favorite points in your post is cook. I’m normally lazy but I love eating a good meal. I definitely want to cook more and will check out your personal Pinterest account for the recipes you’ve tried!! Great post and keep up the good work 🙂

Stephanie Jay | Variety Tales : https://varietytales.com

February 21, 2019 / 7:36 pm

Thank you for such a kind comment Stephanie!

8. February 12, 2019 / 12:45 pm

These are all such great ideas! I definitely need to spend more time cooking on the weekends!

February 21, 2019 / 7:37 pm

It’s a great habit to get into. Then you won’t have to worry about cooking dinner after work when your starving and tired.

9. February 13, 2019 / 8:39 pm

Ah what an absolutely lovely post! Winter can be so cosy but it can definitely get a little draining when it’s constantly cold and wet so this post has definitely given me ideas on how to spend my winter weekends until spring shows up! xx

February 21, 2019 / 7:37 pm

So glad my post could help!

10. Erica Raquel
    February 14, 2019 / 11:00 pm

Where I live we don’t really get Winter weather. This year the temperature was kind of low but instantly got warm again. I love baking when it’s warm because it gives an excuse to fill my home with the aroma of chocolate and pies.

Erica Raquel

February 21, 2019 / 7:38 pm

Well then I am very jealous of where you live haha. I wish it was warm all year long.