Today is my 25th birthday and I wanted to share with you all the wisdom that I have learned over the years. This was the first birthday in a while where I actually feel at ease about how my life is going. I have a great job, I’m earning my masters degree, I live with my boyfriend, we have two cats and I have a closet that I dreamed about as a kid. I looked at myself in the morning today as I was getting ready and I thought how younger me would be proud of where I am in life.
So here are the life lessons that I am sharing with you that may or may not be helpful. Some of these are helpful, some are profound and some are completely random. Enjoy!
1. If you see a pair of shoes that you like, just buy them. They might not be there when you go back and you’ll be sad about not buying them.
2. Do things by yourself. Don’t let the fact that you’re alone, stop you from doing things that you want to do. I am a very independent person who loves to go shopping and out to eat by myself.
3. You don’t have to follow trends. Whether that be in fashion, music or technology. It’s okay to do your own thing and not follow what everyone else is doing.
4. When you’re sick, try to wear a cute outfit. Just because you feel like hell doesn’t mean that you have to look the same.
5. Pets are great companions. If you live alone, get a cat or a dog, a fish, turtle, rabbit, lizard or any other animal to keep you company.
6. High school and everything that happened there literally doesn’t matter once you graduate. I don’t talk to a single person from my high school and I don’t care about anything that I did there.
7. Try to save as much money as you can. I’m really bad about saving money and I’m just learning now how important it is to have an emergency fund for when you need to repair your car or get out of a lease.
8. Have a separate savings account just for vacations. I like to put a little into a different account so that I can go on a big vacation each year. We went to Nashville, Tennessee this year and next year I hope to go to Salt Lake City, Utah.
9. Take classes as an adult. Never stop learning about things that interest you. I’m planning on taking a photography class to improve my camera skills.
10. Buy all the books! I don’t read much but I still love buying and collecting books that interest me. One day I’ll read them.
11. The New Year is a great time to start a new beginning but so is tomorrow, or next week or next month. Don’t wait until the new year to start something new.
12. Don’t let people stop you from doing things that you like doing. If you like watching the news, watch it. If you like wearing crazy patterns and prints together, do it!
13. If you don’t have the highest confidence levels, just pretend that you are. That saying “fake it till you make it” is true. Faking confidence will actually help you become a more confident and outgoing person.
14. Be apart of as many clubs/activities as you can in college. I was so proud of being in a sorority, being fashion club president, and working in the student dining hall. It introduced me to so many people and I experienced so much!
15. Support your friends and families small business endeavors. You should be their biggest supporters and promoters!
16. Make sure to talk with your parent/grandparents/siblings once a week. I moved out two years ago and I still text my parents all the time and visit them for an hour or two every weekend.
17. When a song you love comes on, you should sing as loud as you can to it and dance. It’s important to have fun.
18. It’s okay to be wrong about things. You don’t always have to be right about everything and anything.
19. Just because something is scary, doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t do it. My favorite quote is “Never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game”.
20. Be annoying when it comes to applying for jobs. I have emailed and used LinkedIn messenger to ask people about their company and jobs that they have available. You want people to know who you are and to consider you for positions. I have gotten a few jobs this way.
21. Give people random comments. I love telling a girl I don’t know that I love her scarf or how she did her hair. They will be so happy that you said something.
22. Care about the environment. Recycle cans, plastic, and paper. Wear slow fashion pieces, don’t waste water, try to cut down on your single-use plastic and shop local.
23. If you’re over 21, find out what your favorite alcoholic beverage it. At bars, I will either order a Malibu Bay Breeze or a frozen margarita.
24. Others will judge you for what you are doing but they don’t matter. Just do what you want to do and don’t let others stop you.
25. Always make sure that you’re happy. If you’re doing something and you’re unhappy, change it. I’ve changed jobs a couple of times because I was unhappy with what I was doing.